Monday, January 2, 2012

"Motto" for 2012

Let me start from the beginning.

Over the summer, I had the privilege of attending a training based on the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  Our school system's goal is to adopt these principles district-wide.  One of the things that we were encouraged to do was to write our own personal "Mission Statement"... something simple that would reflect a deeper goal or set of goals.  I battled on this for a long time, and finally decided to make writing my mission statement the basis of my "motto" for 2012.

So, here's what it means...

CHOOSE JOY- For a long time, I have loved this simple phrase. But this year, I want to LIVE it instead of just "love it"... I want to look at all of life's situations and choose JOY, no matter how difficult the circumstances may be.  Choosing joy doesn't necessarily mean that I have a goal to always be HAPPY.  There's a difference.  Joy is deeper rooted than happiness.  As Psalm 30:11 says, "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy."  True joy comes from knowing that God is in control.


HAVE TIME- This one is going to be the most difficult for me.  I'm really guilty of thinking "I just don't have time for.... (fill in the blank)." This part of my "mission statement" is to have time for the things that are truly important-- a daily quiet time, time with my children, time with my husband, time to focus on being a better teacher and friend.  


MAKE MEMORIES- This is my reminder that sometimes I just need to SLOW DOWN and enjoy the moment instead of trying to make it perfect.  It ties hand in hand with the first two-- looking for those special things to remember in the day to day, and having the time to enjoy them when they come along.  

No comments: