Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Panic Mode!

So, it's beginning to "hit" me that school starts in less than three weeks, and my classroom is still a complete disaster area. I am planning to go up to the school in a few hours (after P's nap) to work some more. Just so you all have a better idea of what I'm dealing with, let me detail a few of the "finer points" of my room as it is right now.

  • The yellow-orange carpet in the room (complete with its duct tape to try to keep it together) is LITERALLY older than I am. NICE, I know!
  • Currently, the small bulletin board strip above my chalkboard has barn-yard animal border on it. Old MacDonald, anyone?
  • Yes, I did say CHALKBOARD. Only classroom on the hall without dry erase boards! Yay for me!
  • I found a curriculum guide yesterday that is dated 1986. I was three. Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???
  • I also found some wonderful things on a bookcase in the back corner of my room- candy bar wrappers, gum, and- oh yes- a blueberry poptart! (At least, I THINK it was blueberry.)
  • There is an entire cabinet full of teacher resources- FOR THE ENGLISH II CURRICULUM. I am teaching English III. Oh yeah, did I mention they're for the textbook that was being used when I was in English II?? In 1998???
  • There are still 6 computers and a laser printer in my room that need to be moved to the new yearbook sponsor's room... and I don't know who that person is going to be!
  • There are still about 200-250 yearbooks that need to be moved to the new yearbook sponsor's room.
  • Until above mentioned computers, printer, and yearbooks are moved, I cannot arrange my room like I want to arrange it.

Things that I want/need to do to make this a workable space:

  • Have said computers, printer, and yearbooks moved.
  • Move one giant blue storage cabinet from the front of the room to the back.
  • Move one blue bookcase from the back of the room to the front.
  • Move my teacher's desk into the corner where the giant blue storage cabinet currently resides.
  • Clean out giant blue storage cabinet and dispose of English II stuff and 1986 curriculum guide.
  • Bulletin boards- I need (want) to do one "The American Dream" space for American Lit (English III) stuff. I need to also do something Business English related (The Road to Success??) I also have one to do something calendar/news related.
  • Remember that even if I don't get it all done, I will survive.

No comments: